Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Next First Thing in the Morning

Well, this new little story idea is pumping!

It woke me up this morning, as new ideas often do, so I could get down some notes about how my latest character (brain-friend? visitor?) might gain some grit and texture, and even where she might end up one day.

But even when I'm not feeling inspired, characters often circle my brain, so what's different in the year I turn 40 about this development? Mainly just that, for the past two years, when a story woke me up at night, I'd gotten into the habit of telling it to go away so I could get some sleep. This year I'm remembering the worth inherent in listening to that voice and - if nothing else - jotting those inspirations down.

So I'm up, a little post-dinner and drinks blurry, early on a Saturday morning. Today is about health and art. They gym, the office (necessary and not that sad) and an exhibit at the Corcoran. I may visit my new friend/idea/interloper today, but I may not. Both options are OK. And I have a sense, my dear Fawn, that you'll be fine for a while, either way.

No comments: