Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Old Idea, Too

And then this morning, between church and a cup of coffee with a creative friend, I realized: I don't have to pick one thing. It doesn't have to be this idea or that choice. If creativity, and fiction, and engagement are to be my bywords, then I have to allow for writing as play. (Even using all these italics and bolds goes against the mantras drilled into me during my MFA.

So if for a morning it's Michael V and next week it's "Divided Son," more the better. If on Saturday I sleep and watch movies - no guilt, let yourself enjoy. And if today, I write a few lines for both of my current story ideas, and then go to the gym, good for me. This year has to be about peace as much as ambition. I've got 40 more years of this balancing act to go.

No comments: